Sooner or later each student faces a situation when he or she needs to invent excuses for not doing homework. Sometimes homework excuses can save you from getting low scores, and sometimes they can even worsen them. In this article, we try to elaborate whether students should make excuses for not completing homework tasks, how to do it right, and in which cases.
5 Hackneyed Homework Excuses That You Should Forget Forever
An experienced teacher who has worked for many years knows all the most popular excuses very well and never believes them. Therefore, you should be really careful when contemplating the excuse. Here is a list of some excuses that teachers will never believe.
- “I forget my task at home” or “I took the wrong paper.” These lies are very simple to be caught in. Your teacher can send you home to bring your task or ask you some questions about it. For example, if it is math homework, the teacher can ask you to tell the answer, and if it is an essay, the teacher will ask you questions about the thesis statement and arguments. Also, the fact that you forgot the completed assignment shows that you are not a well-organized student.
- “A dog ate my paper.” Really? Does someone still believe it works? This excuse probably goes back to medieval times. In the 21st century, a significant part of homework is send via email to a teacher. And even if your paper was really eaten by a dog (though they mostly prefer shoes), it is you who are responsible for it because you left it in an inappropriate place.
- “My laptop collapsed.” Nice try, and still no! Though this excuse is at least from this century, it sounds unrealistic. It doesn’t mean that laptops never break, but they rarely break when we don’t need to do homework tasks. If the task was assigned to you a couple of days before, the teacher can say that you have enough time to finish it and that you should plan your time better next time. In case the task is assigned to the next day, still you have not much chance to succeed with this excuse unless the task is one that can’t be completed without a computer.
- “I felt unwell.” We don’t deny that students often feel unwell because they have too much stress while studying. However, if you tell your teacher post factum that you feel unwell, he or she will take your words with suspicion. Sometimes, your teacher can even ask your parents and you can be caught in the lie. If you really felt unwell, you should have warned your teacher beforehand or asked your parents to tell the teacher about your state of health.
- “I forgot about this assignment.” Don’t say it like this! You can in this case appear as a student who is indifferent towards the subject, or even someone who doesn’t respect the supervisor. It’s probably one of the worst excuses for not doing homework that you can use.
Main Principles of Creating Credible Excuses
Now that you know which excuses don’t work, we are moving to the most interesting part – how to create plausible apologies. Below, you’ll find core maxims that you should follow while thinking over your excuses for not doing homework.
- Be honest… or almost honest. The problem of why you haven’t completed your homework really exists. You should understand it on your own and explain it to your teacher. What are typical reasons for students not doing their homework? It’s the lack of motivation (Check out how to do homework and not lose motivation) or being focused on other affairs that are more interesting for a young person. So, if you decided to omit doing homework tasks because you were invited to a party, it’s better to say that you were not able to build an appropriate time table.
- Add details. As we already mentioned, saying that you just felt unwell doesn’t work, but saying that you’ve had a lot of stress recently and were not able to focus on anything can work. The same thing is with other homework excuses, such as “my laptop collapsed”: you can say that you noticed that it glitches from time to time but you didn’t think that it would break. Therefore, you need some time to repair it and you are really sorry that you could not predicted such a situation.
- Ask for a second chance. Apologizing for not doing the task if you are not going to do it at all is useless. Show your teacher that you are interested in improving your scores. Say that you need more time and you understand that your scores won’t be the same as other students who handed in the papers on time have. Also, you should say that you are interested in the teacher’s evaluation to understand your mistakes and not repeat them in the future.
- Don’t do this often. You are likely to understand on your own that you won’t appear a credible student if you use excuses for homework regularly. Therefore, try to do it only in the most important cases. Otherwise, no one believes any of your excuses.
- Show that you are really sorry. You should explain that you feel miserable for such an action. You should say that you’ll try to manage your time better. The important thing that you should take into account is that you need to make it clear that you are sorry for not completing the task instead of saying that you are sorry for not getting scores.
- Cover up traces. If you haven’t completed your task because you went out with your friends or something else of this nature, we are begging you not to share the photos of your activities on social media. Teachers also have accounts and sometimes they look through their students’ accounts. So, your lies can easily be revealed. Try to cover up traces as much as you can.
The Contingency Plan
Though it might be a bit of a trivial recommendation, you should be more prudent. If you understand that you can’t cope with all the tasks that you receive, you should apply for help beforehand. WriteMyEssayOnline.com can help you with your papers anytime. Our experienced writers are capable of completing all types of papers so that you can use them as a source of ideas. Also, you should know that our service is safe. We protect our clients’ privacy and provide themwith the ability to submit payments safely. Are you eager to get assistance now? Contact us immediately – we are available 24/7!
P.S. I am afraid to request help from a professional author because he or she will not write my essay correctly. – We guarantee you free revisions if you do not like the result. Therefore, our services are worth trying!