A candidate dissertation (from Latin: dissertatio – research, reasoning) is a form of work of a scientific and qualitative nature prepared for public defense in a scientific degree. That is, the degree of the Candidate of Science is awarded by the dissertational council on the results of the public defense of the thesis by the applicant. There are some requirements for writing dissertation that every applicant should know.
Formal Requirements for Writing a Dissertation
The requirements for the content of the thesis for the degree of Candidate of Science are few, but they need to be strictly adhered to in order to be admitted to defense and successfully defend it.
- The thesis for the degree of Candidate of Science must be a scientifically qualified work (it must meet all the requirements for scientific work), which contains a solution to a problem that is of significant importance for the relevant branch of knowledge, or sets out scientifically based technical, technological, or other solutions and developments that are essential for the development of the country.
- The thesis should be written by the author independently, have internal unity, contain new scientific results and provisions put forward for public protection, and testify to the author’s personal contribution to science. It must have a logically built structure with consistency between the chapters and paragraphs of the dissertation, as well as correspondence between the research hypothesis, the research results, and the provisions imposed on defense to be completed scientific research.
- The new solutions proposed by the author should be strictly argued and critically evaluated in comparison with other known solutions. In the dissertation having applied value, information on the practical use of the scientific results obtained by the author should be given, and in the thesis having a theoretical value, recommendations on the use of scientific conclusions should be presented.
- Dissertational works are carried out on the rights of the manuscript, but at the same time the dissertation design must meet the academic requirements. When writing dissertation, the applicant must refer to the author and (or) the source of the borrowed materials or individual results. When using in the dissertation ideas or developments belonging to co-authors, collectively with whom scientific works were written, the applicant is obliged to note this circumstance in the thesis. These references should also be made in respect of the scientific work of the applicant, carried out by him or her alone as well as in co-authorship.
- In the case of using borrowed material without reference to the author and the source of borrowing, the thesis is withdrawn from consideration by the dissertational council without the right to re-defend this dissertation. Of course, at every department, in any university or research institute, as well as the dissertation council, there are traditions and priorities about the requirements for the content of the thesis, and you should find them out in advance.
Informal Requirements for the Dissertation
- The first and most basic condition that must be constantly remembered when writing the thesis is that the dissertation research must be a scientifically qualified work. This means that it should be evident from the text of the dissertation, scientific articles, and the abstract that the author is able to reason intelligently, draw the right conclusions, is well acquainted with the field of research, has command of terms and scientific language, and knows how to write a dissertation proposal.
- After the layout of the materials is in accordance with the plan, you should begin to write a proposal for your dissertation. Do you know how to write a dissertation proposal? It must be remembered that the text of the dissertation is the author’s reasoning on the topic of research with the aim of confirming the results of the research work.
- The text of the individual sections of the thesis must have a semantic completeness, and all sections should be linked, and all work should have integrity. The presentation of the material in the dissertation is conducted in the third person. It should be remembered that the average volume of the thesis is 150-180 pages of typewritten text, and it is necessary to include materials in the thesis while taking into account the approximate equality of the volumes of paragraphs.
- It is advisable, when preparing the text of individual sections, to observe the following compositional structure: introduction (How to Write an Introduction for a Dissertation Easily), the main text of the section with tables, graphs and drawings, conclusions and proposals, and a bibliography on the section. This applies to any volume sections and will greatly facilitate the work on the final layout of the thesis.
What to Include in a Plan or Concept of the Dissertation
- The topic of the dissertation, approved by the academic council of the faculty.
- Codes and the name of the specialty, the field of study (according to the passports of specialties, in the volume related to the research topic).
- Scientific relevance of the study.
- Purpose and objectives of the study.
- Subject and object of research.
- Working hypothesis of the study.
- Methods and the expected scientific results of the study.
- Exemplary structure of research on chapters and paragraphs (with the names of sections and a brief abstract description of the contents of chapters and paragraphs). As a rule, in the first chapter the theoretical bases of research are stated; the second chapter usually gives the empirical characteristics of the studied subject, obtained as a result of the research carried out; the third chapter summarizes the results of solving research problems, formulates conclusions, and develops theoretical and practical proposals. In contrast to the thesis for a master’s degree, the structure of the dissertation work of the applicant for a doctorate degree consists of four chapters.
- The conclusion.
Candidates for a PhD are often asked to provide a detailed plan for the preparation of the PhD and doctoral dissertation work, indicating the finished fragments (in percent). Such a detailed plan (or plan-prospectus) of the thesis is 10-15 pages (sometimes with the results of personal research). The plan of the applicant is reviewed and approved at a meeting of the department or laboratory.
In the plan (concept) of the thesis it is necessary to indicate the theme of the thesis work, as well as the nomenclature of the passport of the specialty on which the dissertation is written, which will enable the competitor to determine the object and subject of research. The object of research is some part of the field of science investigated by the competitor, and processes and phenomena that are the cause of the existence of a problem that has not been resolved to date. The part of the object that is investigated is determined by the concept “subject of research.” After concretizing the object and the subject of research, it is necessary to consider the relevance of the issues under study, that is, to assess the timeliness and necessity of their solution.
If you can’t develop and write your dissertation, WriteMyEssayOnline.com can help you with this problem. If you use our service, you will obtain the best result. You just need to formulate your order by mentioning your requirements and setting the deadline. After our writer gets your order, he or she will start to work on it immediately.
Begin your path to academic success with our help! We are ready to help you at any stage of the study.