‘To be or not to be?’ You will scarcely meet a person who has never heard these words or even quoted them. Shakespeare’s play ‘Hamlet’ is still well-known all over the world. This story of revenge and a philosophical sense of death can frighten a person and make one think, but leaves no one indifferent. You can talk about this literature masterpiece for ages. So if you have a task to write essays on it, it’s better to define essay topics for high school. We prepared thought-provoking essay topics for ‘Hamlet’ so you can choose the most appropriate one.
Our topic list consists of two parts according to the type of essay. Below, you’ll find expository and persuasive essay topics.
Expository Essay Topics
- Explore the role of the minor characters in the play. Think about their significance in revealing the main subject and the major figures.
- Should we suppose Hamlet is an indecisive person? Why did he refuse to take revenge? Comment on his intentions to commit suicide.
- The main theme of ‘Hamlet’ is the struggle between good and evil. Do you agree with this statement? Analyze opposing characters.
- Shakespeare explores the conflict between appearance and reality in ‘Hamlet’. The essential theme of the play is Hamlet’s unwillingness to put up with reality. Give your evaluation.
- Do you think Ophelia’s decision to commit suicide was unwise? Did she have another choice? What would you recommend her to do instead?
If you choose from the expository essay topics for ‘Hamlet’, you’ll need to give:
- Personal analysis
In an expository essay, you can share your thoughts and personal views without strong evidence supporting every word.
Persuasive Essay Topics
- Shakespeare displays the fixed idea of death in ‘Hamlet’. Prove or disapprove this statement. What are the differences between Hamlet’s perception of death and the gravediggers?
- Describe Claudius as a ruler. Give the proofs of your claims. Who would be the better king in your opinion? Who is responsible for the demise of the state in ‘Hamlet’?
- Should we assume ‘Hamlet’ as a pure tragedy? Find examples of comic elements in the play. Pay attention to Osric and Polonius. How do you suppose the comedy is to defuse the situation or it plays the ironical part?
- The first scene introduces us to the Ghost. Find the evidence in the text that supports the idea of his real existence. If you think that he indicates Hamlet’s mental disturbance, prove it.
- Talk about Hamlet’s attitude towards Ophelia. Do you think he ever loved her truly? What were the discrepancies between his words and actions? Find arguments in the text to support your point of view.
If you choose persuasive essay topics, remember that your aim is to persuade your audience that your opinion is right. So, check for:
- Strong stance for your thesis statement
- Powerful arguments
- Examples from the text
What Else Can We Do for You?
We hope that these essay topics for ‘Hamlet’ help you to create magnificent work as well as Essay Topics on Immigration That Make You Think. And if you are busy for any reason, we can help you, too. Go to our online resource, WritemyEssayOnline.com if you need some help from qualified and experienced writers. You have a possibility to order a paper of any type on any discipline and topic within any formatting style. It can be used as a template for your own research. You don’t have to pay the whole sum in advance. Besides, you’ll have the possibility to track the order progress and even preview your order for free. Try the experience right now. We are available 24/7!